Zima Choosing the right materials for your home’s roof can often be the most difficult choice to make. However, what makes roofs an interesting aspect of the home is the variety of materials that are available. Types of roofing materials range from natural products such as thatch and slate to commercially produced products like tiles. As a result, the decision-making becomes more difficult.
Alchevs’k In case you are in a fix, why not choose clay tiles? As an eco-friendly material, it not only contributes to a sustainable economy, it can also keep you safe from all the natural elements that a home is often exposed to. Clay roofing tiles are traditionally made from locally available materials such as terracotta or slate. And due to the various advantages that it offers, many people today are turning to it as an alternative option for their homes’ roofing needs. One of the primary reasons for its popularity in recent times is the protective roof shield that can resist any weather condition.
For more than 5,000 years, people have been firing the earth’s red treasure to make their roofs more secure, attractive and comfortable. Depending on the quality, a clay tile roof can last up to 100 years or even more! And in recent times, more and more people are turning to clay tiles for their quality, durability, long life, and varied styles. Additionally, these are widely being used as the main roofing material in places where there is high rainfall, humidity, and temperature.
This is a testament to its durability and long life — two important qualities to look for in a roofing material. Additionally, it is also able to retain its appearance with age, maintaining the aesthetic look of a home over time. And, if you are looking for something that is unique and makes your roof stand out, don’t fret. Clay tiles, in fact, come in different shapes, sizes, colours, and styles. There is one for every type of house structure.
Counting the benefits:
Apart from the obvious aesthetic appeal and incredibly long life expectancy of tile roofs, clay tiles have many other benefits that make them an ideal roofing material for homes. Although it may prove to be a bit more expensive than traditional roofing materials, using materials that are eco-friendly is becoming even more relevant in recent times.
If you are still unsure whether clay tiles can be a perfect material for your home, here’s an overview of its benefits:
- As a natural material, one of the popular forms of clay roofing is terracotta; it was used commonly by the Greeks and Romans as early as 2,500 BC. It is an attractive, impermeable and durable tile for the roof, made from clay that is fired at a high temperature until it vitrifies or fuses. As a result of vitrification, it creates a hard and waterproof surface that can withstand rain, snow, cycles of freezing and thawing, and can also wear well in coastal areas.
- By combining the clay’s natural ability to reflect heat from the sun in the summer, and its ability to insulate by keeping the atmosphere warm in the winters, clay tiles can reduce the amount of energy you need to maintain a comfortable temperature in your home.
- As clay is created through a baking process, long-term exposure to the sun strengthens clay roof tiles.
- Clay tiles are completely fire-resistant; they will not rot and cannot be affected by insects.
- It also has a long life expectancy and can be recycled for newer purposes.
- Their natural ventilation flow adds to the value of the structure. As a result, they guarantee the aesthetic and functional aspects of the home.
- Clay roof tiles can significantly reduce noise levels; their density helps reduce much of the external noises such as the traffic. Clay roof tiles, in fact, have a sound reduction potential of 30 decibels as opposed to only 12 decibels that the commonly used alternative offers.
One for all:
Nature provides us with an infinite variety of colours and forms. The wide selection of profiles, colours and shades, and textures make clay roofing tiles unique. Whether it is traditional or modern, warm shades or not, or even if it is for renovation projects or for the latest architectural innovations, clay roof tiles have something in store for everybody.
However, before you take the plunge into making a clay-tiled roof, you must ensure that the roof structure is robust. This is because they tend to be a little heavier than many other roofing materials. So, if the existing roofing material is lighter than the replacement clay roof tiles, you will need to install additional supports before putting the clay roof tiles in place.
The benefits of clay roof tiles are not just limited to those mentioned here; there are several more that make it a unique option for your home. Not only would it make your home look great, but with the variety of colours and finishes available to a homeowner today, it is a perfect option for all kinds of homes. If you want your home to stand out in an eco-friendly way, clay is the way to go!
Authored By: Anusua Mitra, Associate Manager —Marketing, wienerberger India Pvt Ltd.
Originally published at Deccan Herald [http://www.deccanherald.com/content/537813/goodness-clay-roofs.html]