“Save the Planet” is the need of the hour and everyone should learn the ways of doing so. Global climatic changes, genetically modified foods and pesticides are depleting our sustainable lifestyle.
Green living is an attempt to live in an eco-friendly and an environmentally responsible way. It helps us to reduce our carbon footprint and create a healthier way of living. It is our allegiance to improving our lifestyle by following simpler ways on cutting down unnecessary requirements, which ultimately save resources.
Are you concerned about the well-being of our planet, and ready to do your part? If you are geared up to take steps towards a green and sustainable lifestyle, here are few tips to learn how altering your personal habits and humanizing others can make an impact.
Imagine a day without water in your fast paced life.Scary, no?? Water is the most valuable element, without which, it is hard to survive as it can take a toll on your health. It is our duty to create awareness among ourselves and others to prevent wastage of water. We can try making a change in our living habitat by following few simple steps of preventing water wastage.
People mostly tend to leave the tap running freely while they brush their teeth or even wash utensils. This causes unnecessary wastage of water.
In most five star hotels or in malls you will find sensors attached to the taps in the toilets. Only a required quantity of water flows from the tap, when a person wants to wash his/her hand. It is the best way to prevent water wastage.
- It is always good to have a garden in your house, but it is equally important to maintain the amount of water you use to water your lawn.
- Fix leaking faucets and running toilets. A leaky faucet, can lead to water wastage.
- Only run your washing machine and dishwasher, when it is full.
- Plan up a rainwater harvesting storage, to collect rain and help water plants.
2. Reduce, reuse, and recycle:
In today’s competitive society, people in general, tend to compete with others in each and everything, be it luxurious lifestyle or other ways of living. With the increase in shopping malls and various brands, people tend to shop more, thereby stuffing their wardrobe unnecessarily. Always buy items, which last long and serve multiple purposes.
The best way of green living is by recycling the things which do not serve a purpose anymore. Discover creative ways of using waste materials such as old tins, plastics and clothes.
- Buy clothes and accessories from thrift shops instead of purchasing new merchandise.
- Instead of buying garbage bags, use old plastic shopping bags for the dustbin.
- You can recycle food scraps and paper through composting which in turn is useful for plants.
Recycling and reusing materials reduce the amount of waste and save a lot of energy.
3. Clean, renewable power:
Power is another important element of our lives. We rely on electricity to power our lights, electrical appliances etc in our homes, but at the same time, it depletes the earth by polluting the air, in the form of gases emitted from carbon plants. Using efficient products and energy-saving strategies; can help you save money and energy, leading to a sustainable way of living. Nowadays, there is a lot of power consumed in offices and other buildings. Electricity is used in each and every electronic device, such as computers, televisions, etc. Try using solar devices to help reduce demand for energy from polluting sources.
- Use minimum wattage incandescent bulbs, instead of the regular bulbs, with high wattage.
- Always switch off the lights and fans, when not in use. Instead, you can enjoy the natural sunlight and breeze.
- Unplug chargers and other electronic devices, when not in use.
- Use dim lights with low wattage in bathrooms and other rooms during the night.
Wienerberger has come up with Porotherm Clay Bricks for the construction of green living houses which keep the interiors cool during summer and warm during winters.They provide excellent thermal insulation, which leads to direct savings on energy consumption.
4. Get Around Green living:
The automobile industry has nowadays become less feasible in the conservation of sustainable living. Contemporary transport systems have to be adapted for a healthier green living. Today, people cannot even imagine commuting without their own transportation.
Various other ways of green living have been introduced, and it is highly recommended to bring in a change, thereby saving our planet.
- Bio-diesel and battery vehicles are recommended for sustainable living.
- Reduce the use of your car or a two-wheeler, sometimes prefer public transportation.
- Use the windows to help your car cool, instead of the AC. Parking your car in a shade, will also keep your car cooler.
- Using a bicycle or walking, will reduce the emissions of carbon dioxide in the surrounding thereby slowing down global warming.
5. Green Your Closet:
Do not throw away your old clothing, instead find ways to reuse or donate it to people who are in need. That is how you begin, living green.
You can try creative ideas with your old clothes.
- Your old sarees can be transformed into curtains for your room.
- Use old jeans to make an awesome quilt.
- You can turn an old shirt, into a pillowcase
- Turn an old sweater into a cute hat for your loved ones.
There are many more easy and affordable ways to protect your local environment and the planet as a whole. In a long run, a green living isn’t just good for the environment but more comfortable and energy efficient, which add up to major cost saving and reduce potential health risks for people living in it.
Authored by Building Experts from Wienerberger India
For an expert advice, drop a word at our email id firstname.lastname@example.org